DD is not one to brag about her cooking...but everyone at the office seems to gobble up her tuna melts. Here's to future office gatherings with tuna melts for everyone!
Tuna Salad Ingredients:
(Makes 2 sandwiches)
- 1 Can of Tuna (Wild Planet Albacore Wild Tuna from Costco) (drained and mashed with a fork in a medium size bowl)
- 2 T + finely chopped white onion (Vidalia - adjust quantity to liking)
- 3 T + finely chopped dill pickles (Costco – Gedney Dill Pickle Babies) (adjust quantity to liking)
- 2 + squirts of Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing
- ¼ cup Hellman's Mayo
**Blend above ingredients with a fork**
Sandwich Building Ingredients:
- Sliced tomatoes (Costco – Campari or Flavor Bombs)
- 6 slices of cooked bacon (Costco – Kirkland Signature brand fully cooked bacon) (crisped in the microwave)
- Sliced pickled jalapenos (optional…but Andrew turned me onto this…and it’s pretty amazing)
- 8 Cheese slices (4 per sandwich - cheddar or co-jack mostly used at work…but muenster and cheddar combo would get nice and gooey)
- 4 slices of Dave’s Killer Bread (21 Whole Grains and Seeds) (Works well with any bread…but this is what we typically have at the office…or Cottage bread)
- Spray the outside of each slice of bread with cooking spray (if I were at home…I would probably use butter) and then flip over.
- On the un-sprayed sides of the bread, spread a thin layer of mayo.
- Add 2 slices of cheese to each side of bread (4 slices of cheese per sandwich ? ).
- Split the tuna salad between each sandwich and pile it on top of the cheese slices on one slice of bread.
- Add a layer on top of the tuna salad of sliced tomatoes, jalapenos (if desired) and crisped bacon.
- Put the sandwiches open face in the toaster oven. I put the oven on the “toast” setting for “2” slices of bread and “2” done-ness and press start.
- After the first round of toasting, I will put the sandwich together and toast again to desired darkness and to ensure the cheese has melted.
- Obviously you could do this on the stove top, but I’m used to doing it in the toaster oven at work doing 8 sandwiches at a time.
Tuna salad mixed with onion, pickles, Italian dressing and Mayo (I included a picture so you could see the ratio).
Normally I used sliced cheese…but today only had shredded cheddar.